Monday, January 6, 2014

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

8/10

For some reason it feels like I made a post about this book before, but after looking through the annals, turns out I have not. This, by the way, is my 100th post. Some said it couldn't be done.

So when I was a youngster, one of my older brothers told me this story. I remember really liking it and remembering certain details pretty well. When I finally read it shortly after high school (yes, I was never assigned this book in high school like hoards of others were), I still remembered certain parts and was constantly anticipating them. It was fun reading and re-remembering the story that I was told many a year before.

I really like this book and enjoy pretty much everything about it. First of all, any story about people stranded on a desert island has my immediate attention (e.g. Robinson Crusoe, The Tempest, Swiss Family Robinson, Castaway, Sheep in the Island (one of Mallory's favorite videos on youtube), etc.). Second, it is kids stranded on the island. So I instantly picture my scout troop stranded and we would probably go full meltdown much quicker than these kids. Sorry Troop 788, but it's true. Third, two opposing groups quickly form, so now I get to enjoy reading about this competition of sorts and invest my rooting interests (go team Ralph, elected government with structure and order is the way to go). Fourth, Ralph and his group quickly become the underdogs and I always like an underdog.

This is a must read book. It's got plenty of symbolism or allegorical connections that can be made for the deep thinker and it has lots of adventure for the kid at heart.

No comments: