Saturday, August 9, 2014

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis

4/10

This was one of the first books I read after my mission. I remember because it is the book that I brought with me to Zion's National Park which I went to two weeks after coming home. I remember being really excited to read it and had extremely high expectations. Unfortunately, my expectations turned out to be too high and I was a bit disappointed overall with this book.

It is the first book of a science fiction trilogy (science fiction has never really been my thing for the most part). I have read the second book (which I will post about in a future day) but have still not gotten around to reading the third one. Mostly because of lost interest I believe.

The book is about this guy who is abducted by aliens and brought to some planet. He spends most of the book on the run and there are interesting parts here and there. And, as always with C.S., there is some interesting Christian allegory woven in.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to anyone, but wouldn't persuade anyone to avoid it either. It's a quick 160 pages, so a person could give this book a try without much commitment and then decide if they want to move forward with the other books in the series.

No comments: