Monday, February 16, 2015

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

3/10

More like A Farewell to Legs. I read this in the year 2005. It was my first ever Hemingway. I have now read three Hemingway books and I don't know what to make of him. I really liked one of his books (The Old Man and the Sea), I thought one of his books was so-so (The Sun Also Rises), and I was very disappointed in A Farewell to Arms. I thought it was a boring story and, to be honest, I was not at all impressed with the writing. I hate it when authors refuse to keep us posted on who is speaking during several pages-long dialogue. Seemed like I had to trace my way back in the conversations several times to refresh myself on who was saying what.

I was excited to read this book too, it being my first Hemingway and all. Fortunately, the other two books of his that I have read have been significantly better so I am sure I will return again to the Hemingway well and get to the bottom of whether I like him or not. It's like a best of seven series and Hemingway is up two games to one (I would say that The Sun Also Rises was probably an Extra Innings victory for Hemingway). So stay tuned.

No comments: