Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Long Valley by John Steinbeck

6/10

I read this ten years ago. It is a collection of 12 short stories. Steinbeck is one of my favorite writers but this one is by far the least memorable of anything I've read by him. I remember really liking maybe one or two of the stories. The rest were either ok or pretty boring  and uneventful overall. This book contains 'The Red Pony' which is more of a novella. It's a fairly popular story by Steinbeck but I wasn't too keen on it.

But I struggle to enjoy lots of short stories. I'm not sure why. I think the problem is just that - the stories are too short. There just doesn't seem to be enough time for plots and characters to develop.

One quote from a story called 'The Harness':

"[H]ard work is the thing to kill sorrow."

No comments: