Sunday, January 24, 2016

Romeo and Juliet & West Side Story

8/10

I read this several years ago. Romeo and Juliet is the last Shakespeare play I read prior to reading the Complete Works but have not posted on the blog. So this marks my final Shakespeare play post. But, as you have probably figured out by now, I happened to read a book that had the play West Side Story immediately after Romeo and Juliet. It was fairly interesting seeing the similarities between the two plays.

Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorites. Really. In fact, I rated it as my 5th favorite Shakespeare play. I always try to convince myself not to like it because it's a sappy love story. But I guess I'm just a sucker for young love. Or, it actually has tons of cool lines and characters. And I think it's a fun story.

I enjoyed reading West Side Story as well. My main memory from West Side Story was the time when we watched it over at the Leatherwood's and we all covered our eyes when Maria and Tony kissed, except Laura Leatherwood caught me peeking through my fingers. I have lived with the shame of this experience ever since.

Here now are a couple lines from Romeo and Juliet:

"Being one too many by my weary self..."

"Young men's love then lies
Not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes."

"[L]ove's heralds should be thoughts,
Which ten times faster glide than the sun's beams"

"The sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness,
And in the taste confounds the appetite.
Therefore love moderately, long love doth so;
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."

"Mercy but murders, pardoning those that kill."

"The heavens do lour upon you for some ill;
Move them no more, by crossing their high will."

No comments: