Sunday, April 10, 2016

Aesop's Fables

6/10

So I finally finished another book. Thus, my post this week is on this blog and not on my MLB stadiums blog.

I read this entire thing to my daughter, Mallory. It took us ages to finish, I think more than two years. She worshipped the first one which was "The Fox and the Grapes" about the sour grapes. She only wanted me to read that one. She would say, "Read the one about the yucky grapes." Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there. She just never really got into these fables. I thought she would love stories about animals playing tricks on each other and such shenanigans, but she didn't. I mean, look at those rascals on the book cover. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. In her defense, most of them were fairly boring and the language was much more advanced than I thought it was going to be.

The intro to this book was pretty interesting, talking about theories on who Aesop was and how these fables came about. I did not read the intro to my daughter, just the fables.

There are quite a few classic fables in here which was always fun to stumble upon. And the fables with "moral of the story" at the end were always nice and tied up the fable succinctly.

Now we are trying to figure out the next book to read together. I am pushing for "The Chronicles of Narnia," but she seems to want to save those for later for some reason. It will be a tough decision for sure.

No comments: