Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

10/10

This book is considered one of the greatest American novels of all-time. And I must say that I began this book with some very high expectations. I usually don't try to let my high expectations effect my view of a book. But, in any case, it didn't matter because I loved the book in all its cynical glory. I don't know what it is about tragic/depressing stories that I enjoy. Maybe this reveals something shameful about me? Probably. Or, I guess I just like it when authors go against the grain and make the story feel more honest or something.

Most of the characters are pretty lousy people. Seems like almost everyone is cheating on someone. But luckily the narrator, Nick, is rather likable. He's a pretty nonchalant type of a guy, my type of dude. He lives next door to Jay Gatsby who is super rich, throws lots of elegant parties, and who is quite the mysterious fellow with rumors swirling around him concerning his past. Gatsby ends up getting involved in this love triangle deal with two of Nick's other friends and some pretty sweet drama ensues.

The last 1/3 of the book is about as good as anything I have ever read. We've got some different story lines converging which leads to the dramatic conclusion. I have always liked a good conclusion. Lets just say that good old Nick tries not to judge people but some things that people do leave him no choice but to view them as a despicable lot.

Also, the F. Scott sure knows how to write. This is the only book of his that I have read, but this makes me want to again have the F. Scott experience.

Opening quote:

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

No comments: