Monday, December 20, 2010

"Not My Will, But Thine" by Neal A. Maxwell

9/10

Well folks, it has been some time. Some time. I just finished my last final and thought, "What better way to celebrate..."

My next several posts (if I do in fact post again after this once the luster wears off) will retrace, working backward, all the books that I have read since my last post. This book was the last book I read right before the semester started.

Lets just say that Maxwell is a quote machine. One of the best. Nary a page goes unmarked. He's the master of using scriptural text as part of his sentences. And he sure knows how to put things into perspective. Plus, he is super poetic in his writing style. Hence the designation: quote machine.

As the title suggests, the book was about learning how to humble ourselves as Christ did and put the will of the Father above our own. And that it is when we learn how to live with this mentality that the Lord will bless us with knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. If you want to learn more about the scriptures and how to become a better person, may I present Exhibit A....And so it is.

Quotes:

"Selfishness is a form of self-worship."

"Early repentance thus permits earlier and more extensive service."

"Not to respond in obedient action is tantamount to unbelief."

Quoting C.S. Lewis (Now there are two rather similar chaps, arguably the two wittiest writers of Christianity. Ever.): "The cross comes before the crown, and tomorrow is a Monday morning."

No comments: