Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kim by Rudyard Kipling

1/10

I just finished this book a few days ago. I actually started it in January right before school in the hopes to finish it before school started, but then Cassie had to go to the hospital and I had to put the book on hold half way through and finish it after the semester. So there's a cute little timeline recap for you.

I classify this book as "I read it so that you don't have to." Man, this book was so, so crappy. It was a snooze alert times infinity. Which is sad. I mean, have you ever read a book from an author and you really liked it, then you read another book by the author and you are tremendously disappointed? That's kinda what happened here. I enjoyed 'The Man Who Would Be King' (mentioned previously in this very blog several posts ago). But this one just didn't do it for me (which is unfortunate because this book is the one that is actually considered Kipling's masterpiece somehow). In Kim's defense (and Kipling's), it is never a good idea to read a book halfway and then finish the other half four months later. But still, I wasn't into the book in January and they (Kim/Kipling) are just lucky that there was even an excuse available to them at all.

On to the summary: Kim is this youngster (not sure of his exact age, but I pictured him to be 12-ish as the book begins). He is likable enough, one of those inquisitive kids that have no troubles having conversations with adults. This lama comes into town and Kim is super curious about him and ends up tagging along with the lama on various adventures. The lama is looking for some river that will supposedly cleanse him of his sins or something. Stuff happens (not really) and the lama I guess finds his river at the end. I was unsure whether he actually found it or if he metaphorically found it (a perfect example of why I didn't like the book). Now Kim is left to decide to continue in the path of the lama and spirituality or to follow the ways of the world (he went to some military school in the middle of the book).

That's it. Seriously. Plus, I don't really tend to like books that I can't understand (whether that lack of understanding is a fault of the book or a fault of the reader doesn't make the reader like the book either way). The book was just so foreign to me. It took place somewhere in Afghanistan I think and the lingo was weird. The descriptions of objects and places were confusing and difficult to understand for some lame American. I would read a page and just be like, "Uh, what?" And going back a second time didn't help. Confusion built on confusion which, unfortunately, leads to a lack of close and careful reading. In the end, this is one of my least favorite books of all-time. Maybe my least favorite (of the ones that I had the gusto to power through and actually finish). You are here forewarned dear reader. But, if you want to read it for yourself, feel free. Then, come back here and let me know what was so great that I missed out on (if you can find out for yourself what that great something was). It was just one of those books that worships the setting and culture. Which is fine I guess. But setting and culture by themselves don't make for an enjoyable read for me. Obviously it does for others since I think I am in the minority with my opinion about this book.

While I did not enjoy the book, here are three quotes that I did enjoy:

The lama makes this statement about a snake: "Great evil must the soul have done that is cast into this shape." Ha ha. I agree, lama. Snakes are pure evil.

"Very foolish it is to use the wrong word to a stranger; for though the heart may be clean of offence, how is the stranger to know that? He is more like to search truth with a dagger."

"True courtesy is very often inattention."

No comments: