Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

7/10

I read this book probably like six years ago, so my memory is somewhat sketchy concerning the details. It is the next book in line in the Ender series after Ender's Shadow so that would make it the 6th book in the series. But, technically, it is the 2nd book in the Bean portion of the series. I think I explained this splitting of the sequels in one of my previous posts (probably Ender's Shadow).

So, the big war is over (the one covered in Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow). Back on earth, the kids who were in battle school (largely Ender's squad) are some of the best and the brightest back on earth concerning warfare matters between nations. Well, several of the kids are kidnapped so that certain nation's will be deprived of a brilliant mind to assist the war efforts. The evil Achilles once again rears his ugly head. Bean does his usual brilliant problem solving and so do his cohorts. Much fun is had by all.

I enjoyed the book. The Bean sequels are less science-fictiony than the Ender sequels. Both sequel sets have redeeming qualities about them. But I do like a lighter dose of science fiction it seems like. This book was fun. It isn't some ground-breaking novel, but I don't think it was meant to be anyway. It's just fun to follow some of the characters that one comes to know and like in the first book. And if you are able to buy in to the idea of youngsters being this brilliant and gifted in the first book, then I don't see why we can't continue in that way of thinking for the others.

A quote:

"Death is not a tragedy to the one who dies. To have wasted the life before that death, that is the tragedy."

No comments: