Friday, January 13, 2012

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

8/10

This is a short little story, a "novella" if you will. I know I will. I just finished this over my Christmas break. I read the first little chapter in Utah and then the rest in the Salt Lake airport/airplane from Salt Lake to Denver/Denver airport/airplane from Denver to Columbus. I liked being able to cross the United States in a matter of hours while reading about grueling Yukon klondike treks that took months to complete. Technology!

You may very well know the story, but I will continue nevertheless. The story is about this dog named Buck and most of the narrative is through Buck's perspective. At first I was a little hesitant to fully commit to reading about the thought processes of a dog. Then I remembered that it was The Call of the Wild and how else would it be told? By random iditarod sledders? Nay. Buck was in a much better position to analyze his own experiences and survival methods. Plus, I loved this opening line: "Buck did not read the newspapers." Ha ha. Anyway, back to the story. Buck is wrenched from his cozy, civilized, domesticated life and sold to Alaskans for some sled-pulling. He pretty much dominates. There is some triumph, some brutal hardships, and other various sad moments. But Buck finds his calling in the end. The call of the wild that is.

I think I enjoyed this book because I have always been a fan of slavery stories. Let me be clear: Not a fan of slavery, but of slavery stories: the Underground Railroad, Roots, Harriet Jacobs, Uncle Tom's Cabin was entertaining, etc. This had that kind of feel to it. Buck stolen, forced into labor, pushed beyond reasonable limits, and eventually free in a new place but he makes it his own. P.S. I hope it's not insensitive to make such a comparison. Sometimes my "sensitve meter" doesn't function properly.

Also, Jack London is a great writer. Really enjoyed his style. How cool is this oft repeated phrase: "The toil of trace and trail." Answer: really cool.

No comments: