Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

7/10

I read this book as a youngster (or had it read to me, I don't recall) but revisited it and read it probably about 8 years ago or so. Also, this book cover is sweet.

This is the first book in the Narnia series (I will have none of this chronological order nonsense that has 'The Magician's Nephew' first, such talk is blasphemous). This is a fun little children's fantasy adventure story of the Pevensie children and their journey to Narnia where they meet a lion named Aslan (Christ figure in the book). Edmund and his sweettooth for Turkish Delight nearly ruin everything. Some scary White Witch turning-people-to-stone-figures action takes place, but the gang eventually pulls through. An Aslan sacrifice where he gives his life for Edmund's is the most emphatic Christian allegory and the heart of the story.

It is mostly a fun read for kids and I am actually pretty stoked for the time when I can read this to my youngens. And it is a decent read for adults who like to look for some Christian allegories. In the end, we all know that I am a big C.S. Lewis guy but I think I am a bigger fan of his straight Christian doctrinal books more than his Narnia Christian symbolism books (even though I like Narnia books just fine). The End.

No comments: