Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin

1/10

I read this book a while ago and the only thing I really remember about it is that I didn't like it. At all. So this one will be short and I am posting this one just to get it out of the way. But apparently most everyone else likes it somehow so I am in the minority, just so you know.

A lady finds out her brother has AIDS and she has to break the news to their Mom but she has a strained relationship with her. So the rest of the book is a bunch of pointless arguing and getting mad at each other for small things because of all these lame underlying issues they have that I couldn't relate to at all. And her brother comes and stays with the Grandma for a while and he reveals that he has been gay for a long time. Needless to say, there are so many heart to heart conversations and coming to terms with each other. I was like, "Yay! Looks like another chapter of deep, meaningful conversations that are carried forth with such honesty and passion, it is so fun to read about this dysfunctional family." I don't know, it was just a lame book for me.

No comments: