Friday, July 11, 2014

The Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare

5/10

"But you just posted about Shakespeare's Complete Works" you say. "Hold on, let me explain" I say. I had read 8 or 9 of his plays prior to attacking his Complete Works. I had posted about a few of them throughout this blogs history. This book with this identical hilarious book cover is sitting on my shelf. Who am I to deny this book its right and privilege to be posted on the blog? I have a few more individual plays to post as well. Also, yes, when I read the Complete Works I did re-read all the plays I had previously read.

So I read this back in 2005 I believe when I took a Shakespeare class at University. It is, according to my official rankings,  the 30th best out of his 37 plays. It's true, it's not my favorite. But I don't dislike it either. It's just kind of a weird storyline. Guy tames girl and girl submits, big time. I think I would have liked it more if he helped her go from crazy spaz to normal wife. But instead she goes from crazy spaz to ultra obedient borderline slave servant with no hint whatsoever of her former personality. Not that I was offended by it, but just found her to be a little annoying both pre-taming and post-taming.

I am less of a fan of his comedies than any of the other genres. I think I liked it slightly more the first time I read it. Also, in my Complete Works post this was one of the few plays where I couldn't locate a quote to use. But as I thumbed through this book I did find one thing I highlighted and I will now share the quote:

"No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en;
In brief, sir, study what you most affect."

No comments: