Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Third Thousand Years by W. Cleon Skousen

6/10

This is the second book in Skousen's Old Testament trilogy. I read this one about ten years ago-ish. I think. I still haven't finished "The Fourth Thousand Years," the final book. Very reminiscent of my actual Old Testament reading where I can get through much of it with relative ease and then I get to Ezekiel and stay there for the next ten years. Fun fact: There are three different book series that I haven't finished. I haven't finished the Ender series (I've read seven of the however many there are now). Haven't finished the C.S. Lewis science fiction trilogy (I've read two of the three). Haven't finished this one. Maybe that's why I haven't picked up Harry Potter yet, I need to knock these ones out first. Or I just suck at reading series.

Anyway, much like "The First 2,000 Years," this book was enjoyable. Provides good and interesting insight into the Old Testament. It covers from Abraham to Samuel and Saul. Lots of cool stuff during this period.

Quotes:

"Not only was it a desperate and challenging time for men to endure, but also for God to govern."

"God doesn't change, but circumstances do, and God's commandments will vary accordingly."

"Except Jesus Christ, there is more information concerning the prophet Moses and the works of his hands than any other personality in the Bible."

"[W]e have learned from experience that periods of apostasy do not usually produce good historians."

No comments: