Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Five Classics by Truman G. Madsen

8/10

I read this on my mission. I really liked it. Probably not as much as his Joseph Smith the Prophet book, but I still remember liking it. It's your typical Truman G. philosophically heavy stuff. I feel like Eternal Man was the hardest, but perhaps most enjoyable of the five books. Christ and the Inner Life is also very excellent, as is Four Essays on Love which I remember not looking forward to reading and then being pleasantly surprised by it.

Read this if you want to do some deep thinking. You should also commit to spending some time on it because it reads slower than most books and is just shy of 400 pages.

A few of the many quotes:

From Eternal Man: "[O]ne can only justify a belief in free agency by a belief in pre-existence.... Every mortal, to reverse the popular statement, did 'ask to be born.'... We might have avoided mortality. Billions did, and thus drastically limited their possibilities."

From The Highest in Us: "He turns no penitent one away. Would you, if you had paid so much in suffering? Would you ever give up? All doors that are locked against the Lord are locked by us."

From The Radiant Life: "[I]t is psychologically impossible to really believe that you are forgiven of the living God if you are still nurturing unforgiveness toward others."

No comments: