Monday, December 22, 2014

Even As I Am by Neal A. Maxwell

9/10

Seems like an appropriate Christmastime book to post right about now. This was my first Maxwell book that I read (on my mission) and I think it is my favorite of the four books of his that I have read.

It's interesting subject matter. Maxwell points out how during his mortal ministry Christ gave "the startling commandment" to "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Then, after having been resurrected and becoming fully perfect himself, he gives the Nephites the same command, but slightly different: "I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." And he also later says, "What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." I found it an interesting insight that Christ could add himself alongside his Father only after he was resurrected. Other insights are also contained in classic Maxwell writing style about how to fulfill such a daunting command (and how it was not given to taunt us).

After this post I will have posted all four Maxwell books that I have read. I have four more on my "need to read shelf" that I will get to in a coming day, so stay tuned.

Few quotes of the many:

"What He is presses in upon me in relentless reminder of what I should be."

"Lucifer is best dispatched at the doorstep - not after he's been invited in and has unpacked his things."

"Remember, Lucifer is an incurable insomniac."

"Never has anyone offered so much to so many in so few words as did Jesus when He said, 'Here am I, send me.'"

No comments: