Friday, January 2, 2015

Already to Harvest by Hartman Rector, Jr.

3/10

Lets kick off this new year with a post about my least favorite church book that I have ever read. I didn't totally hate it, but it's fair to say that I didn't like it. I read this on my mission back in 2004. 

It was a good book in the sense that it encouraged you to be a good, hard-working missionary and had some good thoughts about how to make that happen. But I was mainly turned off by how over-the-top it went with the you should baptize infinity people each month lectures.  The stories of missionaries baptizing 25 people per month and writing down a long list of ridiculous goals like: "We conclude each day with the satisfaction that another person has been baptized!" made the book seem unrealistic and brought the book from a good missionary tool to parody territory. I guess I just got annoyed reading this book, while serving a mission in the Bible Belt, about how if only I was a good missionary then I should be baptizing a person every single day. I probably should have just ignored those parts and just tried to focus on the principles being taught. Maybe next time.

No comments: