Monday, January 19, 2015

A Bit on the Side by William Trevor

3/10

I read this in 2008 I believe. And I read it before the birth of my first son which I named Trevor William. It's true. I did not name my son after William Trevor. In fact, I had forgotten all about this author's existence and did not make the connection until somewhat recently.

Anyway, this is a collection of 12 short stories that are pretty boring and uneventful for the most part, in my opinion. As I look over the stories, the only one that I remember really liking was "An Evening Out" which was fantastic. The others were mostly unmemorable. But, I must not have disliked these stories too much because somewhere down the line I acquired another William Trevor book that I have yet to read.

Conclusion: It was not great as demonstrated by my inability to recall 11 of the 12 stories. It was not terrible as demonstrated by the excellence of 1 of the 12 stories and by my future acquisition of another book from the same author.

One quick line from a story titled "Solitude":

"Dark nourishes light's triumphant blaze"

No comments: