Thursday, April 30, 2015

Complete Sonnets by William Shakespeare

4/10

This is, according to my calculations, one of two remaining Shakespeare's that I have not posted but which I had read prior to reading the Complete Works. I read this in the 2006 or 2007 year range. It's my least favorite of Shakespeare. I am a Shakespeare plays man. His sonnets are boring to me. Plus, when people think Shakespeare is hard to read it is probably the sonnets which give this reputation because his plays aren't too difficult overall. Also, the reason the sonnets are hard to read and understand is because it's poetry and 95% of all poetry is hard to understand.

Here are some good lines:

The opening line to sonnet XVIII which is a funny line because it is used in Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie:

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"

The couplet from sonnet XLIII:

"All days are nights to see, till I see thee,
And nights, bright days, when dreams do show thee me."

The couplet from sonnet XCIV:

"For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds:
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds."

No comments: