Monday, April 13, 2015

Fargo by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen

9/10

So this is the only screenplay I've ever read. I spotted this "book" at a used bookstore many years back and decided to give it the purchase. Awesome story. But comes with some strong language obviously.

This book comes with a short intro from the Coen brothers that is pretty interesting. Fargo famously starts by declaring "This is a true story." People love true stories. You watch it thinking, "Wow, I can't believe this actually happened." Turns out it is not based on a true story at all. This is a similar device used by Nathaniel Hawthorne in The Scarlet Letter which I believe I discussed briefly in my The Scarlet Letter post a few years back. The intro discusses how their Grandma would tell them these remarkable stories and claim that they really happened. But they realized in retrospect some elements of Grandma's stories "test credulity." The intro ends by saying of their screenplay, "It aims to be both homey and exotic, and pretends to be true." I think it's a pretty sweet trick myself. Good old Coens.

No comments: