Sunday, November 15, 2015

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

4/10

This is a great book cover, one of my favorites. I read this over a decade ago. I didn't much like it. But when looking back I think I was overly critical of it. It was very different from the Frankenstein we know today (that is, the guy with a bolt through his neck who walks like a zombie; and no, there is no Igor in this story). The Frankenstein in this book is a super intelligent creation, which makes him scarier when you think about it. I think I would like this book much better if I read it today than when I read it ten years ago. Plus, props to Mary Shelley for creating a horror story and monster that has lived on for generations.

I have one quote to share which is from the Intro to the 1931 publication written by Mary Shelley where she tells about what led up to her writing this story:

"Invention, it must be humbly admitted, does not consist in creating out of void, but out of chaos; the materials must, in the first place, be afforded: it can give form to dark, shapeless substances, but cannot bring into being the substance itself."

A young Joseph Smith was teaching the same principle about the creation of the universe at about the same time period.

No comments: