Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Client by John Grisham

7/10

I finished reading this just yesterday. It is my very first Grisham book believe it or not. It was largely what I expected it to be - a quick and mostly entertaining read with a few flaws.

The book starts off very well and grabs the reader's attention with a suspensful first couple chapters. Unfortunately there weren't quite enough of these kind of nail-biter moments throughout the book. There is another similar moment but not until near the end of the book.

The main flaw of the book is pretty obvious. The 11-year old boy is told a secret about where a dead body is buried. He for some reason doesn't want to tell the police or the FBI. The explanation being that he is scared of the mafia. But if he just tells the police at the very beginning then the body would have been found before the mafia would have known what's what. Instead he keeps it a secret which allows the mafia to begin its intimidation tactics to keep him quiet. But obviously the story would have only been like 75 pages if he doesn't lie about it. Also, I feel like Grisham recognizes this issue and he tried to explain and justify the kid's reasoning several times throughout the book. I just chose to go along with it in order to not be too bothered.

Also, any time that the main character is a super mature young kid there is bound to be some cheesy moments. You just gotta roll with it.

All in all I actually enjoyed the book for the most part. And I'm sure I will read some other Grisham's some time down the line.

No comments: