Monday, September 4, 2017

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

7/10

I finished this a few nights ago. I had been reading it all summer to my 6-year old Mallory and my 5-year old Trevor would sit in for parts of it as well. I haven't had too much success with getting Mallory interested in some adult chapter books. Probably because she is 6. And I thought this one was not going to go very well but she was the one insisting on reading this. And much to my surprise she loved this book like crazy. It was a bit slow and had boring parts for sure but she was never phased. Her enjoyment and excitement for the book made me like it more than I otherwise likely would have if I read this book myself. My kids also enjoyed that I tried doing a lot of different English accents for the characters throughout but they always came off sounding like U.S. Southerner accents.

It was a nice book. I enjoyed seeing the two crabby, misbehaved youngsters change their attitudes and improve themselves. They sure do worship pulling weeds. I must say that the last chapter is really quite beautiful. It's a happy book and I was glad to enjoy reading it with my young 'uns.

There's good quotes to share I am sure but this book is currently in Mallory's room and she is sound asleep for the night.


No comments: