Saturday, March 3, 2018

Gunga Din and Other Favorite Poems by Rudyard Kipling

7/10

I finished reading this last night. It was a Christmas gift from my Dad accompanied with a recording of him reciting two of the poems from memory: "Gunga Din" and "If-". I knew his recitation of the poems would be epic, but it exceeding even my already high expectations. Especially the Gunga Din one. It was awesome.

This book of poems is like most poetry for me lately. A few really solid ones that I can completely appreciate and enjoy, a few ok ones and then a handful of ones that just don't make sense to me. But this is actually an improvement for me since I have read a bit more poetry lately and have been able to change my mindset and enjoy them slightly more than I did previously.

Kipling's poems were interesting as they were written in this interesting style. I'm not sure what the proper term would be, but I pictured a bunch of the poems being chanted and shouted out in unison by a bunch of people in an English pub. The word "bloomin'" appeared it most of the poems, which was awesome. I want to incorporate that word into my everyday vocabulary.

My favorite poems were, in order:

1. Gunga Din: Yes, there is a reason why this one gets named on the title of the book; very, very good poem, and made so much better after watching my Dad's epic performance. There are several great parts to quote, but I only share this one: "An' for all 'is dirty 'ide 'E was white, clear white, inside When 'e went to tend the wounded under fire!" After saving a guy, Gunga Din gets shot: "An' just before 'e died: 'I hope you liked your drink,' sez Gunga Din. So I'll meet 'im later on At the place where 'e is gone - Where it's always double drill and no canteen; 'E'll be squattin' on the coals, Givin' drink to poor damned souls, And I'll get a swig in hell from Gunga Din!... Though I've belted you and flayed you, By the living Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!" It also reminds me of this soldier in the Battle of Fredericksburg which I learned about during a recent visit: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/monument-to-the-angel-of-marye-s-heights I also recently read an old Thomas S. Monson general conference talk where he shares this story: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1995/04/mercy-the-divine-gift?lang=eng

2. The Betrothed: This is a fantastic poem about a guy who has to choose between his wife and his cigars. It's really amazing. The guy refers to his cigars as his "harem" and "brides" and there's this hilarious line: "And the Moor and the Mormon shall envy who read of the tale of my brides."

3. If-: A great, great poem about how to carry yourself in life. After listing several "If's" the poem closes with: "Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!" The poem is about Christ as my Dad pointed out in his recording.

4. The Law of the Jungle: I thought this was in Kipling's The Jungle Book (maybe it is?) but its a great poem all the way through, but here's the famous first part: "Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the sky; And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die." After listing several laws the poem ends with: "Now these are the Laws of the Jungle, and many and mighty are they; But the head and the hoof of the Law and the haunch and the hump is - Obey!"

5. The Story of Uriah: An interesting little poem that doesn't refer to David and Uriah from the Bible at all in it, but that's what the poem is about. It's about a guy named Jack Barrett being sent to a more dangerous outpost in Quetta: "And, when the Last Great Bugle Call Adown the Hurnai throbs, When the last grim joke is entered In the big black Book of Jobs, and Quetta graveyards give again Their victims to the air, I shouldn't like to be the man, Who sent Jack Barrett there."

6. L'Envoi (To 'The Seven Seas'): Just a short good one.

No comments: