Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pride an Prejudice by Jane Austen

6/10

I read this probably about eight years ago. I guess it's supposed to be a girly book. But I liked it for the most part anyway. Mostly because of the writing. The writing is what gives this book it's "classic" status (but for some reason it is still the only Jane Austen book that I have read). So, while attending balls and the upper-class courtship of a family full of girls aren't my favorite things to read about, she was able to eloquently describe all situations so that I enjoyed it enough nonetheless. It is also surprisingly funny in a few different spots. Plus, that poor Mr. Darcy. People didn't like him and thought he was prideful and rude just because he had a shy personality. This is the great curse of being shy.

I'm a big fan of a good opening line in a novel. This one is good and sets the tone nicely: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Another quote:

"Till I have your disposition, your goodness, I never can have your happiness."


No comments: