Thursday, October 23, 2014

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Harold B. Lee

7/10

This is a Priesthood/Relief Society manual that was produced pre-mission but which I read post-mission as I was trying to get caught up on all of the Presidents of the Church books. I really enjoy these manuals and love that the Church has been producing them.

The best part about these books is getting to know a little bit about these men who served before I was born. I would know basically nothing about President Lee if not for this book. I still don't know much but it's better than nothing.

Also, as I was looking over this book I noticed that all throughout the book I had underlined words that I didn't know the definition to and I had written the definition of the word in the margins. I don't remember doing that and this is probably the only book I have ever done that with, so I thought it deserved a shout out.

To the few selected quotes:

"The most important of all the commandments of God is that one that you are having the most difficulty keeping today."

"Testimony is as elusive as a moonbeam; it's as fragile as an orchid; you have to recapture it every morning of your life. You have to hold on by study, and by faith, and by prayer."

"[I]f you want to know the last revelation that has come to this people, you get down the last conference report and read carefully especially what the First Presidency said."

"It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God's moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status."


No comments: