Sunday, October 12, 2014

Twelfth Night by Shakespeare

6/10

Here's another one of the few remaining Shakespeare plays that I had read before I took on the Complete Works, but which I had not posted about on the blog. According to my rankings, this is my 22nd favorite out of his 37 plays. Middle of the road Shakespeare in my opinion. Not bad for a comedy play. It invokes Shakespeare's go-to routine of having a girl dress as a boy which I picture as being about as hilarious as it gets back in the day. I liked this play overall though. It had a nice little plot and the characters were interesting.

Quotes:

Fool: "Good madonna, why mourn'st thou?"
Olivia: "Good fool, for my brother's death."
Fool: "I think his soul is in hell, madonna."
Olivia: "I know his soul is in heaven, fool."
Fool: "The more fool, madonna, to mourn for your brother's soul, being in heaven. Take away the fool, gentlemen."

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better."

"In nature there's no blemish but the mind;
None can be called deformed but the unkind."

No comments: