Thursday, October 30, 2014

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

10/10

One of the all-time greats. Just great story-telling and some very likable characters. Atticus Finch is one of my favorite characters ever. What a good guy. Also made into a great movie with Gregory Peck playing a perfect Atticus.

I won't go into the storyline at all but just want to point out how interesting it is that the book can be so light-hearted and childlike yet deal with some serious themes. It's all just so well done.

As I thumbed through my book I was surprised how many good quotes are in this book. I had to make some cuts to my selected quotes which I usually don't have to do for novels. Many of the quotes are just Atticus being Atticus. Wisdom personified.

Quotes:

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

"[S]ometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle"

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

"[B]efore I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

"It's not okay to hate anybody."

"Before Jem looks at anyone else he looks at me, and I've tried to live so I can look squarely back at him."

"Atticus, he was real nice." "Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."


No comments: