Monday, March 16, 2015

Grimm's Fairy Tales

6/10

I just finished reading this book tonight. Mallory picked out my book again and chose this one "because it has a witch in it." I should have finished this book at least a week ago but dragged it out due to a combination of a waning interest and Championship Week viewing consuming all my free time.

This book contains 120 of the tales collected by the Grimm brothers. I was looking forward to reading the well-known classics, such as Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, etc. I actually enjoyed most of these classic stories, Hansel and Grethel probably being my favorite of the well-known classics group. I definitely think this group of stories is worth reading.

I was also looking forward to reading some of the other stories to find some hidden gems among the lesser-known tales. Unfortunately, for the most part, they are pretty ho-hum and lesser-known for a reason. There were a few that I liked pretty well though. Some of my favorites, in no particular order, were: 1. King Thrush-Beard; 2. The Juniper Tree; 3. The Robber and His Sons; 4. The Twelve Brothers; 5. How Six Traveled Through the World; 6. The Giant with the Three Golden Hairs; and 7. Master Cobblersawl.

So, while I would not recommend reading the entire book, I would recommend reading the ten or so well-known classics as well as the seven lesser-known tales referenced above. The End.

No comments: