Monday, March 23, 2015

Our Heritage

7/10

I read this shortly after the mission if memory serves correct. It's a pretty quick read and covers a lot of familiar aspects of Mormon history. It feels a lot like Gordon B. Hinckley's "Truth Restored". The main difference to this book is that it carries Church History beyond Brigham Young. Seems like most of these type of books stop at that point. This one goes through many of the prophets following Brigham Young all the way up until Gordon B. Hinckley who was prophet at the time of this book's publication. It's a good book, especially for recent converts.

This book also has one of my favorite stories about the handcart pioneers. It is the story involving the guy who stands up and says cool things like "[We] came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives for we became acquainted with him in our extremities" and about how when he felt he could go no further "the cart began pushing me. I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the angels of God were there." He concludes by saying, "The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privileged to come in the Martin Handcart Company."


No comments: