Sunday, July 26, 2015

Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow

6/10

I read this about a decade ago. Counting Crows fans will recognize the song "Rain King" which has a lyric which states "Henderson is waiting for the sun." And it was this song which prompted me to read this book.

It was ok I suppose. Not quite my style. It is about a middle-aged guy in a mid-life crisis if you will. He goes searching for himself by going on a random, spontaneous trip to tribal regions in Africa and unwittingly becomes the tribe's Rain King by moving a large statue or something. It's a pretty weird book with a few humorous moments here and there. I could see Adam Duritz completely connecting with this character. Henderson was a pretty interesting dude. It was a pretty long read for me though. Not sure if I'll read any other Saul Bellow books in my life. But at least I read the Counting Crows one.

One quote:

"[S]lavery has never really been abolished. More people are enslaved to different things than you can shake a stick at."

No comments: