Monday, July 29, 2024

The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy


8/10

I read this one about 5 or 6 months ago. It was great. I just really love Thomas Hardy. He can write write. The story was masterfully set up and the whole second half of the book was just so good. The setting of the book, Egdon Heath, was so well described that it almost felt like a character of the book itself with its rolling hills and marshes, etc. And it really was as it factors in with so much that happens throughout the book including at the end. Great characters. Great interactions and relationships. Don't have much bad to say about it at all. I was really close to giving it a 9/10 but didn't for some reason. Just lacked 1 or 2 real memorable payoffs I guess. All I know is I can't wait to get to my next Thomas Hardy book because he has not disappointed me yet.

Thomas Hardy books I've read, ranked:

  1. Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  2. The Return of the Native
  3. The Woodlanders


No comments: