Friday, January 1, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

10/10

My first post about the books I have read had to be this one. I don't know that I have an official favorite book, but when people ask what my favorite book is, I usually tell them this book. Also, when asked who my favorite author is, I usually say Steinbeck, due in large part to this book. I suppose that the reason I like it so much is that I have never been more emotionally effected by a book than with The Grapes of Wrath. Emotionally effected? Yep, I said it.

The book is about the "Okies" who were driven to California during the Dust Bowl, shortly after the Great Depression. They could no longer grow their crops and had heard that money was to be made in California. Having been driven from their land, they are met with hardship after hardship, but always remain positive that life in California will ease their problems and view it as their promised land. The problem is that so many "Okies" migrated to California that there was little to no work available. And when there was work, they were paid pennies because if they wouldn't want to work for that little of money, someone else would be willing. A main theme throughout the novel is that the poor and struggling are the only ones who will lend a helping hand, they had to get by by sacrificing for each other. It also covers the relationships between the privelaged and the less fortunate.

It's true that there are parts of the book that could be viewed as less than entertaining. Steinbeck does do a lot of describing of the landscape that may tend to lose the distracted reader, but these descriptions are very important parts of the book.

The end of this book is my favorite ending to any book that I've ever read. I remember when I read the end, my jaw literally dropped and I sat there in stunned amazement. It was the most shocking surprise ending ever. If you've seen the movie, they couldn't show the ending because the shocking nature of the end of the book couldn't be put in movies back when the movie was made. I love discussing the end of the book with those who have read it. It is surprisingly an encouraging and upbeat ending to the book despite all of the trials that the family has gone through.

Steinbeck wrote this book after having visited several of the Okie camps in California. Knowing that many of the incidents in the book occurred to hundreds of people makes the book hit home that much more.

A quote from Ma Joad near the end of the novel: "If you're in trouble or hurt or need - go to poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones."

Another awesome quote when a preacher was baptizing lots of people: "He picked each one up in his arms and shouted, Take 'em Christ! and threw each one in the water."

If you haven't read this book, then read this book.

No comments: