Saturday, January 30, 2010

Othello by Shakespeare

10/10

William Shakespeare that is. Othello is, unofficially, my favorite Shakespeare play (of the relatively few that I've read). I don't know if that's because I am one of those who can't have my favorite be the most famous or popular? Hopefully I'm not that guy, I hate that guy. I actually think the main reason is that it was one of the first Shakespeare plays that I was introduced to and sorta where my Shakespeare appreciation began. So, it's a sentimental thing. Now that we've gotten to the bottom of that...

Othello is very underrated. It is not put on the same level, it seems, with some of the other awesome Shakespeare tragedies, i.e. Hamlet, Macbeth, etc. But it sure does hold its own. Othello is where we meet, arguably, Shakespeare's most villainous creation, Iago. Iago is, in my opinion, not only Shakespeare's darkest creation, but anybody's. I have yet to find a character who is more evil, sinister, and terrifying as Iago. And for some reason I really enjoy exploring the depths of a character like that.

The tale is about a ruler, Othello, and his fascination/love Desdemona and the jealous Iago who resorts to all means of deception and scheming in order to destroy the both of them. And boy does he ever. He's got everyone fooled and pulled the wool over just about everyone's eyes. It's a cool read, folks.

Shakespeare's always good for a quote or two:

"To mourn a mischief that is past and gone Is the next way to draw new mischief on."

"You have lost no reputation at all, unless you repute yourself such a loser."

"O thou invisible spirit of wine, if thou hast no name to be known by, Let us call thee devil!"

"I think you think I love you."

"When devils will the blackest sins put on, They do at first suggest with heavenly shows."

"How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees?"

"They are not ever jealous for the cause, But jealous for they're jealous. It is a monster Begot upon itself, born on itself."

1 comment:

The Bubs said...

Just so you know, this blog dominates. Unfortunately, I haven't read most of these books. Yes, I am lame.