Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

10/10

Sometimes you read a book and feel highly inadequate in your abilities to describe it. This is one of those books. Usually my describing abilities are far superior to the actual books, but not this time. (This is where I point out that I was kidding about my descriptions being better than the books. Except for maybe when I start posting about books that I didn't like.)

So, I've read a few other Dickens books and have liked all of them. This one had an entirely different feel than his other ones. This one was less playful (which I missed) and was much more serious and somber. However, in Dickens defense, his usual lightheartedness would have made the book less powerful. But, before too many objections arise, he is playful and fun from time to time in this tale. Like how anytime he mentions Mr. Lorry it is accompanied with a comment or some remark about how he is strictly a man of business.

The book really picks up steam the further into the book you get. At first I was a little confused what was going on and I didn't know who was who. But once I got a grip on it, the grip tightened, the knuckles got white, and I couldn't let go. The story is very dramatic and touching. It takes place during the chaotic French Revolution where hundreds upon hundreds of prisoners are being executed by La Guillotine. And the mob mentality of the citizens for the good of the Republic has caused, not only a lot of undeserved deaths, but also some pretty callous heartlessness. The heroism, courage, and selflessness from a character that feels as though his life has been pointless and who many look down upon is very awe-inspiring.

I just finished this book yesterday and it was one of the most worthwhile reads I've had in a long time. It is books like this that remind me of why I read fiction and that fiction isn't always a pointless waste of time.

To the quotes:

"Sadly, sadly the sun rose; it rose upon no sadder sight than the man of good abilities and good emotions, incapable of their directed exercise."

"What the tongue is, I suppose the man is."

"All secret men are men soon terrified."

"You might, from your appearance, be the wife of Lucifer." Burn.

No comments: