Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

7/10

Not to be confused with 'A Christmas Story' with Ralphy. Dickens' story is an absolute classic, a Christmas staple. It gets right at the heart of the Christmas spirit. Pun intended.

On Christmas Eve about three years ago I didn't have much to do and decided to sit down and read this book. It was a fun time, and about three hours or so later I had read the whole book. It is one of two books that I've ever read in one sitting.

Ebenezer Scrooge (perhaps Dickens' best named character ever) is a heartless old miser and one of the most popular fictional characters ever created. One word: iconic. His 'Bah! Humbug!' is about as famous as any interjection ever. My first introduction to Scrooge was way back in the day with the Duck Tales version. Remember that one? I sure do. Ghost of Christmas Future was super scary. In both the Duck Tales and Dickens versions.

This is a must-read. It really gets you to feel like being a good person and gives you a desire to help others. It really does. And it doesn't take too long to read.

**Edit (7/14/18)**

I am adding this edit to mention that I finished reading this book to Mallory about a month ago. She enjoyed it, but I think much of the Dickens-esque flowery language bored her a little bit. But she liked the story itself and enjoyed recognizing parts that she had seen from the Mickey Mouse version. I don't think any other Dickens books will be on our reading agenda anytime soon, however.

**End of Edit**

Quotes:

"'I wear the chain I forged in life. I made it link by link and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.'" One of my favorite quotes ever.

"'No space or regret can make amends for one life's opportunities misused!'"

"'Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence were all my business.'"

"The misery with them all was, clearly, that they sought to interfere, for good, in human matters, and had lost the power forever."

"There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor."

"'Who suffers by his ill whims? Himself always.'"

"Best and happiest of all, the Time before him was his own, to make amends in!"

No comments: