Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

8/10

In my last post I mentioned that there are only two books that I have ever read in one sitting. Well folks, this here is the other one. It's another shorty. It's also one continuous book with no convenient breaks or chapters or anything. So I was like, "Shoot, I guess I'll keep reading", Forrest Gump style. Also, I had just gone on a canyoneering trip in southern Utah and had a 3 hour or so drive back home. That is when I read the book, as I journeyed past Green River, Price, and on through the long canyon. I offered to read out loud as we traveled, but was denied by the masses. Their loss, they missed out on a fun journey.

This old guy has been a fisherman his whole life but is currently in the biggest slump of his life. He hasn't caught a fish for a long time. He keeps going out and doesn't give up despite his discouragements. He finally latches on to a huge marlin and battles with the fish that likewise doesn't give up. A few days later and the old man has been dragged deep into the ocean and barely hanging on while the marlin is barely keeping up the battle. The story is tragic, yet triumphant. It's some good stuff and my favorite Hemingway story of the few I've read.

One of my favorite parts is that the old man worships baseball and talks/thinks about it all the time to himself while he's out battling with the fish. He loves Joe DiMaggio. His obsession with DiMaggio is symbolic of his own streak and struggle with the marlin. Endurance plays a part with both men.

To the quotes:

"I try not to borrow. First you borrow. Then you beg."

"I must think, he thought. Because it is all I have left. That and baseball. I wonder how the great DiMaggio would have liked the way I hit him in the brain?" This one made me laugh.

"Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is."

No comments: