Thursday, February 11, 2010

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

6/10

Come with me as we move deeper, deeper into the Ender saga. This is the third installment in the series which follows Speaker for the Dead. It's a'ight. Similar to Speaker, except I think it is slightly less gooder. It is recommended from me if you are one of those types that still wants to know what happens next. For pure enjoyment, just read Ender's Game. For further information and knowledge, read these other ones. It's still a good story.

A complete removal of a planet is planned to get rid of a deadly virus to prevent it from spreading to other planets. Hence the title of the book being 'Xenocide'. The ship sent to destroy the planet randomly disappears and some Chinese girl genius is sent for to solve the mystery. I guess the intrigue of the book comes from the moral dilemma the girl faces. Should she solve the mystery and allow the planet to be destroyed? Or should she hide her discoveries and preserve an infected, yet living planet? I hate when that situation happens to me. I can never decide what to do.

Quotes:

"The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."

"To stop a human being from doing something, you must find a way to make the person stop wanting to do it."

"There's a longer view, in which life and death are less important matters than choosing what kind of life and what kind of death we have."

"Flattery is never so obvious to the recipient."

1 comment:

brett said...

Rachel just finished Speaker for the Dead and worshipped it. I thought it would be too science-fictiony for her. But shows what I know. Now all she thinks about is the piggies.