Sunday, December 16, 2018

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Gordon B. Hinckley

8/10

I finished reading this earlier this week. I had read about 7 chapters or so during the year this book was being used and finally finished up the rest. President Hinckley is so lovable and sincere that it really was a pleasure to go back and read his words and imagine his voice speaking those words. And, by the way, I do an awesome Hinckley impression. My favorite lines to use for my impression are: "What a marvelous generation..." and "You are the youth of the noble birthright..." You probably have to be there.

Quotes:

"Each of us is a pioneer in his own life, often in his own family."

"You need heaven's help in raising heaven's child - your child, who is also the child of his or her Heavenly Father."

"We can so live that we can call upon the Lord for His protection and guidance. This is a first priority. We cannot expect His help if we are unwilling to keep His commandments."

Henry B. Eyring story about Pres. Hinckley: "More than once he tapped his finger on my chest when I made a suggestion and said, 'Hal, have you remembered the person who is struggling?'"

"If we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves."

"Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe."

"I hope to end out my days building temples of the Lord."

"Keep a recommend in your pocket. It will be a reminder to you of what is expected of you as a Latter-day Saint."

"There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection."

No comments: