Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

8/10

I finished reading this last week. I haven't read a Steinbeck book in a very long time, at least a decade, which is weird because he's one of my favorites. This is one of his earliest books, his third novel.

I enjoyed this book. It's about a group of lovable, lazy, drunkard paisanos who live together in their friend Danny's house on Tortilla Flat and do a lot of immoral things but always justify it with a good cause. The characters in this story are pretty fun and get in to some pretty interesting shenanigans. I'm not usually a fan of books where the characters just sit around and drink, which is this book to a T, but the characters in this one made me smile and occasionally guffaw. And while they are all instinctively selfish over their wine, they actually end up being pretty selfless characters and go to some far (and questionable) lengths to help out anyone in need. It's very well written which reminded me why I enjoy reading Steinbeck so much. This one has a charm to it that is hard to deny.

Time to rank my favorite Steinbeck books I've read:

1. The Grapes of Wrath
2. Of Mice and Men
3. East of Eden
4. Tortilla Flat
5. The Winter of Our Discontent
6. The Pearl
7. The Long Valley

Quotes:

"Ah, the prayers of the millions, how they must fight and destroy each other on their way to the throne of God."

"What pillow can one have like a good conscience?"

No comments: