Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

10/10

Samuel Langhorne Clemens that is. The pseudonym 'Mark Twain' comes from a riverboat term meaning 'safe water'. Pretty awesome stuff.

This is one of my all-time favorite books. It's one of the very first books that I liked that helped me realize that I enjoy reading. For school I would do a book report on this book about every year. That's how I beat the system, Tom Sawyer style. It is in my top five I reckon. Or at least near unto it.

Huck Finn is one of the most likable fictional characters ever. He's a rebel of sorts, a handful at times, and just an all-around sly lad. Huck is being trained out of his old habits of cussing and ruffian nature when his drunken father takes him away. His father beats him a lot until Huck finally runs off. He meets Jim who is a slave who has also just ran off. They then begin an awesome adventure as they journey down the Mississippi on a raft. Huck and Jim form a bond of friendship that is quite strong. They are two outsiders and on the run, but during their adventures they meet many, many people who have surrendered their own freedom in various ways. Mob mentality, family feuds, and other issues have enslaved the people they meet. And we learn that Huck Finn is a much better person than others, including himself, think he is. Even despite the fact that he isn't 'sivilized'.

Plus, this book is super funny. I mean, just check out this line before the book starts: 'NOTICE Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. By ORDER OF THE AUTHOR'. Ha ha, classic. Just the way to get to my heart, a mix of adventure and excitement, drama, danger, and comedy. Well done 'safe water', well done.

No comments: