Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

10/10

Yes, this book is awesome. One of my early beginning favorites. My old man read it to me back in the day and I just loved Bilbo and all the dwarfs. I thought it was one seriously cool adventure, and I was right. Because I read it later in my young adulthood and enjoyed the story just as much.

As you may well know, this is the prequel to The Lord of the Rings. It is more playful and geared toward a younger audience, but it still has its fair share of dangerous adventure. One of the cooler moments in the book is the meeting between Bilbo and Gollum. It's intense and fun simultaneously. They share some sweet riddles in the dark that are quite clever. Bilbo asks a ridiculous riddle though at the end. Poor Gollum. Bilbo finds the ring, learns its power, and uses it throughout his adventures when necessary not knowing of its evil power. Plus, later, some fun Smaug action where Bilbo spots a minute weakness that leads to Smaug's eventual undoing. Good ole' Bilbo and his fun adventures. Love it.

Rumor has it that a movie is in the works for this that will probably be ready in a year and a half. I even heard that they're splitting it up into two movies to which I say, "The more the merrier." Can't wait for those.

No comments: