Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

8/10

I enjoyed this book. There's something about a revenge story that really gets the blood pumping. Eckspecially a really well told one. Expecially one which involves a wrongfully accused man with a just cause whose life has been turned upside down, big time. Specially one that has one of if not thee coolest prison escape ever. Eggspecially one like that. Plus, the Chateau d'If? Best prison name ever. Edmond Dantes is an awesome name too. Just an all around classic. Call me what you will, but I have always enjoyed reading books where it's made possible where I can root for a villainous character. While I did say Dantes had a just cause, he does go to extremes with his vengeance, and yet I'm right there with him. He's not quite villainous, but he does turn into a scary dude. Wouldn't want to cross that guy, no sir.

A note about the movie: The movie is much different, yet I still liked it a lot. The book goes far deeper into the depth of his revenge and is much darker. The movie changed some key parts, but I was like, "Whatev." Both are good in their own ways. The book is better, I say, but ain't that always the case?

Quoteth's:

"He would remember the oath he had sworn...the fear of despising himself kept him from violating it."

"Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that, until the day God deigns to reveal the future to man, the sum of all human wisdom will be contained in these two words: Wait and hope."

No comments: