Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hamlet by Shakespeare

9/10

Hamlet is awesome and one of Shakespeare's finest. May I here state that I think Shakespeare is much easier to read than the stereotypical difficulty that is given him? He gets a bad rap in those regards and, I think, frightens people away from some top notch work unfortunately. Pretty much most editions will have lots of footnotes for any tough words. You heard it here folks, not as difficult as it's made out to be.

Skinny: Hamlet learns from his father's ghost that his new step-dad and the new king murdered his father to gain the throne. Usurpage. Hamlet plots and stews and slowly goes mad, seemingly. All chaos breaks loose and leads to one of the cooler endings ever. Lets just say that blood and dead body's are everywhere. Good stuff.

Stamp: You betcha.

Quotes from Billy boy:

"This above all, to thine own self be true."

"What a piece of work is man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god."

"To be, or not to be: that is the question." You know I had to go there.

"Give me that man That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him In my heart's core, ay, in my heart of heart."

"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below. Words without thoughts never to heaven go."

"Refrain tonight, And that shall lend a kind of easiness To the next abstinence; the next more easy; For use almost can change the stamp of nature, And either the devil, or throw him out With wondrous potency." A footnote in my book says there is probably a word missing after 'either', because it is a little confusing. I still like the quote though.

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, But in battalions."

No comments: